CON 3: English Conversation Level 3
The primary goal of this course is to encourage Thai students to engage in English conversation and give them the confidence to speak English, both with each other and with native English speakers. The secondary goals of this course are to reinforce basic English vocabulary and improve pronunciation of common English words used in friendly conversations.
This course is intended for Thai students in Mattayom 6 (Grade 12). Students who take this class must already have minimal ability to speak basic English and be able to read simple English sentences. Specifically, before taking this class students must meet the following prerequisites:
· Successful completion of CON 2: English Conversation Level 2 or equivalent.
· Ability to read simple English sentences using a basic vocabulary.
· Ability to ask the teacher simple questions in spoken English.
Upon successful completion of all lessons and exercises in CON 3 students will be able to do the following:
· Engage in simple English language conversations with a native speaker.
· Answer questions commonly encountered in conversations with native English speakers such as “Do you have a job?” and “What did you do this weekend?”
· Pronounce vocabulary words correctly enough to be recognized by an English language speech recognition app (usually a dictionary app) on a cell phone.
· The course consists of twelve primary lessons, three optional “extra” lessons, and two exams. The entire course can be taught in 15 or 16 sessions. Class sessions are about 50 minutes long, depending on the number of students.
· Most lessons include 5 examples of sentences used to respond to a typical question. The question essentially becomes the theme of that lesson. Students will be encouraged to use their imagination when answering questions or participating in conversation exercises.
· Most lessons cover 10 vocabulary words used in the conversation examples. Vocabulary usage is reinforced through games and activities.
· All lessons include a game or activity based on situations where the question might be asked. Lessons 6 and 12 are designed to consolidate the conversation examples and vocabulary covered in previous lessons.
Students can be tested on their retention and proper usage of the conversation examples after the 6th and 12th lessons (Test 1 and Test 2).
This course is also available on a USB flash drive. The flash dirve includes MS-Word files that can be easily modified, as well as other files that support this course.
Revised December 2017