EPS 1: English for Primary School Level 1
This course is designed to teach English to Thai students in Prathom 1 (1st grade). It can also be used to teach English to older students or even adults who are just starting to learn English. The primary goal is to teach students how to read, write, pronounce, and translate 100 commonly-used English words and the first one hundred numbers. Although the focus of this course is vocabulary, the words were chosen for their use in simple conversations. This course also builds the foundation for 5 subsequent courses (EPS 2 - EPS 6).
This introductory class is intended for students with little or no prior experience speaking or writing English. It is appropriate for students in Prattom 1 (1st grade). Before taking this class they should be able to say their name (or nickname) when asked.
· Read and write 100 English words (5 words per lesson x 20 lessons)
· Hold a pencil correctly
· Read and write the letters A-Z in upper and lower case
· Read and write numbers 0-100.
· Write their name in English
· Answer some simple questions such as “What is your name?”
· There are 20 vocabulary lessons, 4 review lessons, and 4 tests in this course (28 sessions total).
· Each vocabulary lesson covers 5 words that start with one letter of the English alphabet.
· Each lesson takes about 40 minutes to teach to a class of 15 - 20 students.
· Students should be given a printed copy of one lesson at the beginning of each class.
· Students should keep all lessons in a plastic notebook provided by their parents.
· Students can practice pronouncing target words using a cell phone with a speech recognition app (Android or iPhone).
· Review lessons can be used after the 5th 10th 15th and 20th vocabulary lessons.
· Tests can be given after each of the review lessons.
Revised November 2017