This course is designed to teach English to Thai students in Prathom 4 (4th grade). It can also be used to teach English to older students or even adults who want to improve their English skills. The primary goal is to teach students how to read, write, pronounce, and translate 400 commonly-used English words. Although the focus of this course is vocabulary, the words were chosen for their use in simple conversations. Students will be required to read some simple short stories using the vocabulary covered in this course. This course also prepares students to take two subsequent courses (EPS5 and EPS6).
The course materials assume students have successfully completed three years of English at a public school and are ready to continue learning at the next level. Students who do not meet the minimal prerequisites for this course will have a difficult time meeting the objectives stated below. Before taking this class students should be able to do the following:
· Read, write, pronounce, and translate approximately 150 common English words.
· Ask the teacher simple questions in spoken English.
· Read, write, pronounce, and translate 400 English words.
This includes 300 words that were covered in EPS3 and 100 new words.
· Read, write, pronounce, and translate the days of the week ("Monday" - "Sunday").
· Read, write, pronounce, and translate sentence fragments with 4 or 5 words.
· Read short paragraphs and answer questions about their contents.
· Translate 50% of the vocabulary covered in this course from English to Thai
and from Thai to English in a written test.
· This course is designed to be taught for one full academic year
(nominally 40 weeks minus holidays and special events).
· There are 25 vocabulary lessons, 4 review lessons, and 4 tests in this course (33 sessions total).
· Each lesson covers 8 words that start with one letter of the English alphabet.
4 words will be new to the students and 4 of them were introduced in EPS3.
· There are two pairs of lessons that cover words that use the letters R (AR) and V (VE).
· Each lesson is about 50 minutes long, depending on the number of students in the class.
· Students should be given a printed copy of one lesson at the beginning of each class.
· Students should keep all lessons in a plastic notebook provided by their parents.
· Review lessons can be used after the 6th 12th 15th 19th and 25th vocabulary lessons.
· Tests can be given after each of the Review lessons.
· This course also includes some optional extra lessons that cover plurals and contractions.
VIEW & DOWNLOAD