This course is designed to teach English to Thai students in Prathom 5 (5th grade). It can also be used to teach English to older students or even adults who want to improve their English skills. The primary goal is to teach students how to read, write, pronounce, and translate 500 commonly-used English words. Although the focus of this course is vocabulary, the words were chosen for their use in conversations. Enabling students to engage in English conversations is the seconday goal. This course also prepares students to take the last course in the EPS series, EPS6.
The course materials assume students have successfully completed four years of English at a public school and are ready to continue learning at the next level. Students who do not meet the minimal prerequisites for this course will have a difficult time meeting the objectives stated below. Before taking this class students should be able to do the following:
· Read, write, pronounce, and translate approximately 250 common English words.
· Ask and answer questions in spoken English.
· Review and reinforce vocabulary covered in EPS4.
· Read, write, pronounce, and translate 500 English words. This includes 400 words that were covered in EPS4 and 100 new words.
· Read, write, pronounce, and translate the months of the year ("Jamuary" - "December").
· Read, write, pronounce, and translate short sentences using vocabulary covered in this course.
· Read short stories and answer questions about them.
· Corectly use past and future tense in some simple sentences.
· Translate 50% of the vocabulary covered in this course from English to Thai and from Thai to English in a written test.
· This course is designed to be taught for one full academic year
(nominally 40 weeks minus holidays and special events).
· There are 25 vocabulary lessons, four review lessons, and four tests in this course (33 sessions total).
· Each lesson covers eight words that start with one letter of the English alphabet.
Four words will be new to the students and four were introduced in EPS4.
· There are two pairs of lessons that cover words that use the letters R (AR) and V (VE).
· Each lesson is about 50 minutes long, depending on the number of students in the class..
· Review lessons can be used after the 6th 12th 15th 19th and 25th vocabulary lessons.
· Tests can be given after each of the review lessons.
· This course also includes some optional lessons that cover basic gramar.
VIEW & DOWNLOAD