This course is designed to teach English to Thai students in Prathom 2 (2nd grade). It can also be used to teach English to older students or even adults who want to learn basic English. The primary goal is to teach students how to read, write, pronounce, and translate 200 commonly-used English words. Although the focus of this course is vocabulary, the words were chosen for their use in simple conversations. This course also builds the foundation for four subsequent courses ( - ).
The course materials assume students have successfully completed one year of English at a public school and are ready to continue learning at the next level. Students who do not meet the minimal prerequisites for this course will have a difficult time meeting the objectives stated below. Before taking this class students should be able to do the following:
· Complete or have equivalent experience.
· Read, write, translate, and pronounce approximately 40 common English words.
· Ask the teacher simple questions in spoken English.
· Review and reinforce vocabulary covered in EPS1.
· Read, write, pronounce, and translate 200 common English words. This includes 100 words that were covered in EPS1 and 100 new words.
· Read simple phrases consisting of two words.
· Read and write the words “one” to “ten” and the words “plus”, “minus” and “equals”.
· Translate 50% of the vocabulary covered in this course from English to Thai and from Thai to English in a written test.
· This course is designed to be taught for one full academic year (nominally 40 weeks minus holidays and special events).
· There are 25 vocabulary lessons and 5 review lessons in this course (30 sessions total).
· Each lesson covers eight words that start with one letter of the English alphabet. Three words are new and five were introduced in EPS1.
· There are two pairs of lessons that cover words that use the letters R (AR) and V (VE).
· Each lesson is about 50 minutes long, depending on the number of students in the class.
· Review lessons can be used after the 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th vocabulary lessons.
· Tests can be given after each of the review lessons.
VIEW & DOWNLOAD